Strega's Needles & Hooks

This is my little piece of cyber space where I rant or rave, depending on my mood. Postings are whatever interests me at the time. Life with an Italian in Switzerland is interesting indeed! CLICK ON PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGEMENTS

Tuesday, June 26, 2007



Late in the evening on June 20 disaster struck our little town. It had been raining very heavily for about 2 hrs when we noticed very dirty water running down the street. We live on a corner with one street coming down at a slight slope. When it rains, the water running down the slope is always clean and clear. That evening it was muddy and murky. What transpired within an hour after we noticed that dirty water still makes me shiver with fear.
The river had overflowed and torrents of it began rushing down the streets. It rose at a rapid speed and the forse of it bulldozed the front door of our building open. It started pouring in ... mucky, muddy, dirty river water. We all scrambled to the 3rd floor and watched the devastation from the window. The forse of the water picked up cars, motorcycles, trees, and everything in its path, and carried it all away. I had never in my life seen this kind of destruction before and hope I never will again. It completely destroyed 1/2 of our town and the cleanup & repairs will take a very long time.



5 Comments:

Blogger Ariel said...

:-( What else does one say to a post like that. I'm so glad you weren't hurt and that what you lost can be replaced.

Tuesday, 26 June, 2007  
Blogger Miz K said...

Those are the saddest pictures - I'm so sorry! :-(

Wednesday, 27 June, 2007  
Blogger Dandy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your town... I'm glad your all right!

take care

Friday, 29 June, 2007  
Blogger Kasia said...

Deb, I am so sorry for you guys! I am happy that you weren't hurt! Your basement looks really horrible, I hope that now everything is back to normality!
hugs

Friday, 06 July, 2007  
Blogger knitaly said...

Hi Deb, I saw your comment this morning and so I've come back to see what you were doing...and I read about all this destruction!
I am without words, I missed this in the news, so I hope you are all well and after all the fear and worries and hard work everything is OK for you!

Monday, 09 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home