Strega's Needles & Hooks

This is my little piece of cyber space where I rant or rave, depending on my mood. Postings are whatever interests me at the time. Life with an Italian in Switzerland is interesting indeed! CLICK ON PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGEMENTS

Saturday, August 04, 2007

I'm still on a 'stash busting' expedition and wanted to use up some of my practice handspun. It seemed a shame to just toss it in the trash when there must be
something I could make with it even though it was unevenly spun & too tightly plied.
I knew I couldn't knit an article of clothing because this handspun was really horrible!
After much contemplation, I decided on a tote to porter around my small knitting projects.
The yarn was all about worsted weight thickness so I cast on 80 sts and knit stockinette stitch in the round for about 1.5 inches. Then I knit a round of K2tog, YO for the I-cord eyelets. Then I knit till the yarn was basically all used up except for about 2 feet. I kitchenered the halves together to close the bottom.

I had some other scrap yarn laying around that I used for the I-cord. I didn't want it very long but long enough to sling over my shoulder if need be.

I've had some very old cowboy shirts sitting in my fabric stash for a long time so I pulled one out. After I measured the tote, I cut a piece of fabric large enough to have a double thickness liner (the shirt was thin!). Then I sewed it into a rectangular pouch a tad smaller than the tote. I stitched the top of the liner into the tote with yarn.
The pockets on that cowboy shirt were so cute that I decided to add one to the inside of my tote for holding all sorts of small knitting accessories. Since the pocket was already complete, I needed only to stitch the top of the pocket to the liner.

This morning I threw my sock knitting in the tote and off we went on our Saturday morning grocery shopping spree. I knit happily in the car while the 'chauffeur' portered us to a mall 40 minutes away.

Conclusion:
The tote is a perfect size. It fit nicely beside my feet in the car. The yarn never once got tangled. And, upon returning home, the I-cord stayed firmly in place on my shoulder while I carried bags of groceries into the house. :o)






3 Comments:

Blogger Dandy said...

thats a great little bag!!

Saturday, 04 August, 2007  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

I like that idea:)
amber in england

Saturday, 04 August, 2007  
Blogger Ariel said...

Too cute and very creative. :-)

Monday, 06 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home