Strega's Needles & Hooks

This is my little piece of cyber space where I rant or rave, depending on my mood. Postings are whatever interests me at the time. Life with an Italian in Switzerland is interesting indeed! CLICK ON PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGEMENTS

Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday, August 20, 2007
The rainy, chilly, miserable weather really spoiled our weekend plans!
We had every intention of going on an Aegeri Lake cruise but it was not meant to be. Hopefully next weekend we'll have sunshine & warmth because we still intend to take this boat cruise.
Seeing as I was stuck in the house, I thought I might as well do something constructive. A while ago I got some superwash merino mill ends. Mill ends do not produce evenly spun yarn no matter how hard you try and I knew that before I ordered it. However, the very low price was too hard to resist even if the fiber has no potential for becoming perfectly spun yarn.
I decided to experiment with it.

On Wednesday, I weighed out 100 grams and threw some Easter egg dye on it. It took till Saturday to thoroughly dry.

On Sunday I started carding it.....

.... into rolags.


Then I spun it as well as I could. It still had lots of little "yarn knobbies" in it that wouldn't card out.


I plied my two 50 gram single skeins together. Watching the colours mix and mingle was a lot of fun. I desperately needed a colour fix because all the fiber I've spun lately has been white or natural.


I ended up with one skein (238 yds) of "dog's breakfast". It's about sport weight. I have no idea yet what I'll do with it but I just might try this experiment again. I could use another few skeins to make something special for my January grandchild. :o)





5 Comments:

Blogger Yarn Devil said...

That looks like very fun yarn!! I like the colours! I hope you find something very fun to make with it :)

p.s. glad you enjoyed the video on my blog :D

Monday, 20 August, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

that came out really nice!!!!! Wish I was there, I'd buy me a spinning wheel in one of those thrift stores and sit there with you. One of these days I might find one but stuff like that is hard to find here.

Anyway, LOVE the yarn!!!!!

Monday, 20 August, 2007  
Blogger Ariel said...

What a beautiful color for your grandbaby. :-)

It was really interesting to see all the steps you went through to get there. Thanks!!!

Monday, 20 August, 2007  
Blogger Dandy said...

it looks very eastery... nice!!

Tuesday, 21 August, 2007  
Blogger Laurie said...

Dog's breakfast- interesting name! The yarn is much prettier than the image the name conjures! =)
Laurie's Blog

Thursday, 30 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home