Strega's Needles & Hooks

This is my little piece of cyber space where I rant or rave, depending on my mood. Postings are whatever interests me at the time. Life with an Italian in Switzerland is interesting indeed! CLICK ON PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGEMENTS

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

About 8 or 9 days ago, I decided to try my hand at a seamless yoke sweater. I grabbed EZ's Knitting Without Tears and read that section through twice. What a smart woman! Her percentage system is so logical!
I grabbed some handspun I had on hand and some Filatura di Crosa 501, and I swatched. I got the same gauge on both, give or take just a smidge. Hurrah!
I'm not all that crazy about long sleeves and tend to push them up to my elbows when I do wear them so this sweater was going to have elbow length sleeves.
The percentage system recommended for sleeves seemed a little small so I cast on an extra 4 stitches. I did the increases as suggested and then knit straight up to 2" short of my underarm. I tried the sleeve on. It fit! So I knit the other sleeve.
The body from the bottom up is a breeze with the percentage system. When I had about 8", I decided to try the hem suggested in the book. I'd NEVER done this before so was a little fearful of messing it up. To my surprise, it was easy!
With a lot of careful attention, I picked up the back portion of all the cast on stitches, knit about 1 1/2" in my handspun, then ran the live stitches onto a length of yarn and basted down my hem. Then I carefully sewed each stitch into place. I steamed it a little with the iron and Voila, a wonderful flat hem.

I continued knitting on up the body, picking up the live sleeve stitches (minus those that were designated for the underarm), and incorporated a bit of handspun until it ran out.
I don't like a high neck line because it just irritates my neck so I knit the yoke an inch less in length than EZ suggests. Doing this I ended up with more neck stitches than she suggests so I had improvise just a little.
I tried doing the short row neck shaping....... 3 times. I frogged 3 times!! Grrrrrrrrrr.....
After studying what I had to do to make it look proper, I finally managed to knit a very nice, very fitting short row neckline.
I'm sooooo impressed! No, not with the sweater, although I do like it and it fits very well. I'm impressed with this super intelligent and logical percentage method of knitting sweaters. I know for a fact that I'll do it again. :o)






5 Comments:

Blogger TheBlackSheep said...

Wow! Impressive! Looks great on you too, which is always a bonus, don't you think? :P

Wednesday, 03 October, 2007  
Blogger Ariel said...

Wow!!! It looks so perfect on you!!! Beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!

Wednesday, 03 October, 2007  
Blogger Dandy said...

Deb that sweater is awsome!! I need to get ahold of some of EZ's books!!

Wednesday, 03 October, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm impressed, but then again, I'm always impressed by what comes flying off your needles. It really is beautiful!! Great job!!!
Now, did you ever finish those socks yet??? The orange ones.........LOL

Thursday, 04 October, 2007  
Blogger Miz K said...

Stunning work!

Friday, 05 October, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home