Strega's Needles & Hooks

This is my little piece of cyber space where I rant or rave, depending on my mood. Postings are whatever interests me at the time. Life with an Italian in Switzerland is interesting indeed! CLICK ON PHOTOS TO SEE ENLARGEMENTS

Monday, August 20, 2007

Sunday, August 26, 2007

EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket knit with a double strand of Opal sock yarn and superwash merino handspun.
It's not blocked yet and still needs buttons but it's kinda cute, don't ya think?

Thursday, August 23, 2007
I found this merino fiber in the bottom of my fiber stash. I'd forgotten all about it! I spun it up with no project in mind other than to reduce my fiber stash.

This mohair and silk blend was also in my fiber stash. I still have a ton of it to spin up!

I plied them together to about sport weight

I knit up a tube sock with 3 mm dpns and a 48 st cast on. It felt pretty good on my foot!

I really didn't like the colours one bit!
So .....

I threw the pair into a dye pot. They look a little better but still not great.
Oh well, back to the drawing board......

The top down raglan is still OTN.

Stockinette is boring so I work on it when I need "no-brain" knitting.

Monday, August 20, 2007
The rainy, chilly, miserable weather really spoiled our weekend plans!
We had every intention of going on an Aegeri Lake cruise but it was not meant to be. Hopefully next weekend we'll have sunshine & warmth because we still intend to take this boat cruise.
Seeing as I was stuck in the house, I thought I might as well do something constructive. A while ago I got some superwash merino mill ends. Mill ends do not produce evenly spun yarn no matter how hard you try and I knew that before I ordered it. However, the very low price was too hard to resist even if the fiber has no potential for becoming perfectly spun yarn.
I decided to experiment with it.

On Wednesday, I weighed out 100 grams and threw some Easter egg dye on it. It took till Saturday to thoroughly dry.

On Sunday I started carding it.....

.... into rolags.

Then I spun it as well as I could. It still had lots of little "yarn knobbies" in it that wouldn't card out.

I plied my two 50 gram single skeins together. Watching the colours mix and mingle was a lot of fun. I desperately needed a colour fix because all the fiber I've spun lately has been white or natural.

I ended up with one skein (238 yds) of "dog's breakfast". It's about sport weight. I have no idea yet what I'll do with it but I just might try this experiment again. I could use another few skeins to make something special for my January grandchild. :o)